A talent programme designed by startups to help transform London’s digital workforce
Future Startup Now addresses the lack of representation in our capital’s startup and innovation sector, as part of the Mayor’s Digital Talent Programme.
We do this by:
- Training and developing a growing talent pool of young Londoners wanting to work in startups. Our training is co-designed and delivered by London’s top startups
- Helping London’s startup scene optimise for inclusion for entry-level roles
- Supporting young entrepreneurs to start their own business.
More on the challenge:
The tech start-up sector performs poorly on the representation of women, people of black, Asian, minority ethnic backgrounds, D/deaf and disabled people, those with low socio-economic incomes and from LGBQTI+ communities (GLA Economic Research 2016).
While the case for diversity is well understood - increased productivity, staff retention, better products, reputation - it remains hard for smaller operations to make the changes needed to optimise for inclusion, which results in great talent being wasted - read more about this at McKinsey, here and here.
We want to disrupt this through an industry designed and led immersive training programme that provides talented young Londoners with the skills, experiences and mindsets needed in the business.
Our talent network for your entry-level roles
Future Startup Now helps new businesses with entry-level recruitment.
We have a large network of talented, diverse young people interested in beginning their careers within the startup communities. Through Future Startup Now, we prepare them for these roles:
- Operations: Team-based ops roles (finance, product etc.) / Office Assistants / Studio Assistants
- Social Media: Junior Marketing Leads / Marketing coordinators
- Relationships: Customer Success / Account Management / Customer Service / Communication / Community Coordinators / Lead Generation
Current partners include:
- People of Color in Tech (POCIT)
- Ideas East
- Backstage Capital
Applications for the next bootcamp of Future Startup Now are now open. Find out more and apply here.
If you're an employer looking to be involved, get in touch with Create Jobs Partnerships Manager, Sumi Ejiri, to find out more about how your organisation can get involved in Future Startup Now.
T: 020 7608 2132
Become a mentor
If you are interested in mentoring a young person through their journey and dedicating six hours over three months towards their development then please express your interest here.
A New Direction is a London based non-profit that generates opportunities for young people to unlock their creativity. Through our award-winning employability programme Create Jobs, we equip under-represented young Londoners with the skills and aptitudes that creative and digital businesses need.
We have trained over 700 Londoners aged 18-24, transitioning over 520 of them into jobs in creative, cultural and digital roles.
Abadesi Osunsade, co-founder of Hustlecrew advises business leaders on how to foster inclusion to attract and retain underrepresented candidates.