A creative industry open to everyone
STEP is an internship programme open to young east Londoners that brings together partnerships across the cultural and creative sectors; it's mission is to increase representation in the creative, cultural and digital industries.
Participants complete two 6-month internships (paid at London Living Wage), professional development workshops and a year-long curatorial project. Building a strong peer network, and working with a specialist industry mentor, interns are equipped with the skills, experience and connections to succeed.
Exploring new methods of recruitment and training, STEP offers an alternative for employers and young Londoners. Together we’re developing a model for the future of internships.
Since 2017, 19 young Londoners have completed paid internships as part of STEP.
- Increase diversity in the creative and cultural sector by providing paid employment opportunities for those currently under-represented in the sector
- Increases participants knowledge and experience to better prepare them for the varied career path many creative professionals experience
- Build relationships between new East Bank partners and the existing creative and cultural sector in and around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- Support participants to continue working in the sector through paid employment or relevant training
Our founding partners include Bow Arts and Sadler’s Wells, along with BBC, V&A, UCL, NTS Radio, Worldwide FM, Film Office, 3 Mills Studios, Rosetta Arts, and UAL’s London College of Fashion.
Click below to find out more about the interns involved in the 2018-2019 STEP programme:
- Andrew Adedipe: Sadler’s Wells (Programming) / V&A Curatorial
- Edinam Edem-Jordjie: UCL Culture (Exhibitions) / UCL Culture (Public Programming)
- Nicole Fasabi: Production Assistant, Worldwide FM (Production Assistant) / London College of Fashion (Digital Content)
- Malik Fields: London College of Fashion (Digital) / Worldwide FM
- Rebekah Hundeyin: V&A (Curatorial) / Sadler’s Wells (Programming)
- Leila Jassal: Bow Arts / Sadler’s Wells (Producing and Touring)
- Maureen Kargbo: Film Office / LCF Fashion Space Gallery
- Maeve McDonnell: LCF (Fashion Space Gallery) / TBC
- Fizza: Sadler’s Wells (Producing & Touring) / Bow Arts
We'll soon be recruiting for the next cohort of STEP. To stay up to date with the latest information, please sign up to our newsletter.
And, you can read the latest blog updates from the STEP teams over here on the STEP microsite.
The programme is funded by the London Legacy Development Corporation and is managed by A New Direction.